Friday, July 13, 2007

Tales from Taupo

So here I am in Taupo, a rather up-market town (for NZ standards) on Lake Taupo. It was only an hour on the coach this morning so i'm not too far from Rotorua. All checked into the Hostel which is nice enough, but the atmosphere is kind of ruined by angry signs everywhere saying things like "NOBODY ELSE WILL DO YOUR WASHING UP FOR YOU" and "IF YOU DO NOT DATE YOUR FOOD WE WILL THROW IT AWAY". I can't help but think all these warnings (there are many) could be phrased in a somewhat more welcoming way. Taupo is pretty beautiful though, as you can see from the photos below.


Huka falls. The coach stopped on the way into Taupo so we could have a look. It's very impressive, not so much because it is a steep decline but because of the huge volume of water that passes through it.


Before I forget, one of the chaps who i went rafting with bought all the photos they took (they wanted $40 for them which I though was a rip-off) and becuase they were on a disk, gave them to me. Here are some for you, on some you can play "spot the Lou". I'll give you a clue-i'm near the back of the boat!


The 7m waterfall!! It wasn't actually as scary as it sounds but I did get very wet and cold.



I haven't really done much today other than walk around Taupo and buy a nice warm hat. i'm made a fairly major plan for tomorrow though, I'm going to do the Tongariro Crossing, a 17km (just over 10 mile) trek across the national park. Apparently it is the best one-day Trek in New Zealand so i've got the camera all prepared. It's a difficult walk in Winter, and you need to take a guide with you as well as hire crampons and an ice pick (how cool!) and it should take about 8 hours of walking. I've bought my lunch (lots of biscuits) and hopefully will have enough warm clothes. They lend you any extra exquipment you need. I think it's about an hour drive to the national park, but the pick-up is at 6.20 so i'm going to have to be up at around half five! Hopefully the day after tomorrow will be my first propper lie-in since I got here.

No plans for this evening, probably just an early night to prepare for the trek tomorrow! I'll let you all know how it goes when I get back (hopefully around 6pm).

Tongariro Crossing: http://www.tongarirocrossing.org.nz/

No comments: